Constitution Hill is a place of perspective. It enables us to memorialise the past, imagine the future, and understand our place in the present. It is not just a heritage site – or a museum in which heritage is housed – but a vantage point that grants a view across time and space.
Constitution Hill has a history dating to 1893, when the doors to the Old Fort first opened as a prison for white men and later, briefly, as a military fort. In the early 20thcentury, additional sections were added to the site, including a section for black male prisoners, known as Number Four, a Women's Jail and an Awaiting Trial Block. After South Africa become a democracy in 1994, the precinct was renamed Constitution Hill and a historic decision was taken to locate the Constitutional Court on the premises.
The pages below offer a glimpse into these museums.